At the end of June 2023, the Spanish Ministry for Ecological Transition (MITECO) unveiled a draft revised National Energy and Climate Plan (NECP), signalling Spain's strong commitment to supporting the green transition. The draft includes more ambitious targets for renewable energy and green hydrogen for 2030. These are closely aligned with the EU's ambitions for a clean energy transition.
The draft sets a significantly higher reduction target for greenhouse gas emissions, outlining Spain's goal of 81% renewable energy in electricity generation by 2030, as well as a significant increase in the targeted capacity for green hydrogen production through electrolysis, which has been almost tripled to 11 GW. The plan outlines a total investment of up to €294 billion. 85% of this is expected to come from private sources, with the remaining 15% coming from public funds. Of the total investment, 40% will be allocated to renewable energy sources, 29% to energy saving and efficiency, 18 % to energy networks and 12% to the electrification of the economy. Spain has also recently joined forces with Italy and Morocco as part of the European Hydrogen Backbone (EHB) initiative, in line with this new draft National Energy and Climate Plan.
In this inspiring context, World Hydrogen & Renewables Iberia, Iberia's international platform for clean energy discussion, debate and learning, takes place in Madrid from 12-14 September. Organised by World Hydrogen Leaders, the upcoming World Hydrogen & Renewables Iberia is taking place from 12-14 September at the Riu Plaza España in Madrid.
The Global Alliance Powerfuels is an official partner of the event and Laura Droste, Expert in Hydrogen Economy and Sustainability at the German Energy Agency (dena), will moderate a panel discussion on Ensuring Green Hydrogen Project Bankability.
Understanding the developments for green hydrogen projects, building the business case for investors and accessing the finance needed across the whole value chain are just some of the topics to discuss. Join us at this stimulating conference.
Date: 12-14 September 2023
Location: Riu Plaza España, Madrid
Please find the full agenda here